Thursday, December 3, 2015

My Southern Living

I was thumbing through the Christmas edition of Southern Living and seeing page after page of decadent holiday desserts. They were all so beautiful, so I thumb to the back to look at the recipes. Some of these seemed to have twenty ingredients, things I  have never heard of and couldn't even pronounce with roughly a seven step process. What? For Christmas cookies?





I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to do cookies like this for Christmas. And I don't have time to order strange ingredients from a New York market.My Granny would turn over in her grave. What in the world does this have to do with Southern cooking? Southern Christmas cookies was my Granny using her own milk, eggs, and butter to make sugar cookies. Southern cooking was my granny making popcorn balls with her own molasses. Now don't get me wrong, I adore my Southern Living magazine. But this just struck me as wrong. So, it has now inspired me to write my own true Southern cookbook. I want simple recipes, things like my mother and grandmother use to make. I want to know how to make some awesome and quick sugar cookies. I want to know how to make a quick dressing while I simmer my gravy. I want to know how granny seasons her cast iron frying pan, I want to know what granny did if the gravy was too thick or too thin. I want to know what the real southern women did in their kitchens, not just for the holidays but all year long. So follow me on this journey of creating the perfect southern cookbook that our southern grandmother's would be proud of. And thank you Southern Living for the inspiration. I truly do adore you!


#IloveSouthernLiving, #SouthernLivingMagazine, #Inspiration, #Grandmascooking

No comments: